A great admirer of Russian and Eastern European cinema, the director of The Mouth of the Wolf, The Silence of Peleshian, and his latest, Lost and Beautiful, shares his all time favorites.
– in alphabetical order –
1. And Still I Believe (Mikhail Romm, 1974)
2. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966) watch on filmstruck
3. The Ascent (Larisa Shepitko, 1977) watch on filmstruck
4. Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985) watch on amazon
5. Earth (Alexander Dovzhenko, 1930) watch on fandor
6. Freeze Die Come to Life (Vitali Kanevsky, 1990)
7. Getting to Know the Big Wide World (Kira Muratova, 1979)
8. July Rain (Marlen Khutsiev, 1967)
9. Maria (Alexander Sokurov, 1978-1988) buy dvd on amazon
10. The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975) watch on filmstruck
11. The Red Snowball Tree (Vasily Shukshin, 1974)
12. The Seasons (Artavazd Peleshian, 1975)
13. Tale of Tales (Yuri Norštejn, 1979)
10/10 is an ongoing series in which we ask cinephiles to name their ten favorite films from the last ten years (currently, between 2006 and 2016).